Madison Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Working Tirelessly To Help Injured Bicyclists
Were you recently involved in a bicycle accident? You are not alone; hundreds of bicyclists are injured yearly in Wisconsin. Unfortunately, if the collision is with an automobile, the injuries are often severe and come at a steep price. Medical treatment, lost income from time off work, and damage to your bicycle are just some of the financial burdens that injured cyclists face after an accident.
If you or a loved one has been severely injured in a bicycle accident, you may wonder what your options are for moving forward. An experienced and compassionate Madison bicycle accident attorney may be just what you need in order to navigate the aftermath of the accident.
Call our office at (608) 200-3805 to learn more about what services our personal injury lawyers can provide to help bring you peace of mind and help you resolve the challenges stemming from your accident.
Why Choose Pemberton Law as Your Wisconsin Bike Accident Lawyers
Our law firm has over 20 years of experience helping clients move forward and obtain the justice they deserve. We handle a variety of accidents in Madison and the surrounding areas, including car accidents, truck accidents, and bicycle crashes. More often than not, accidents involving motor vehicles will involve various factors, and determining who is responsible for the damages you suffer can be a complex task requiring an in-depth understanding of the law. In the wake of an accident, our lawyers are prepared to offer you the following:
- Meticulous Investigation: We’ll take charge of investigating your accident from the moment you choose to work with us. Using details from your account of the accident, witness testimony, physical evidence, and more, we can begin to build a compelling case on your behalf.
- Insurance Negotiations: If the option to recover an adequate settlement exists, we’ll exhaust all options before resorting to more aggressive legal measures, such as a bicycle accident lawsuit. Your lawyer will handle all negotiations with insurance companies and help ensure you’re protected against nefarious tactics used to devalue your claim.
- Maximum Compensation: We will stop at nothing to make sure that your compensation includes all your damages. Our firm routinely attains hundreds of thousands of dollars in compensation for injured victims like you, and we know what’s involved in doing so.
Bicycle Law in Madison, Wisconsin
At Pemberton Law, we understand the importance of bicycling both as a means of transportation and as a recreational activity in the state of Wisconsin. Bicyclists in our state are governed by a set of laws and regulations designed to promote safety and harmony on the road. These laws address a wide range of issues, from helmet usage and equipment requirements to rules regarding how and where bicycles may be operated on public roadways.
Wisconsin statutes (Section 346.78) make clear that bicyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as motor vehicle operators. This includes obeying traffic signals and signs, riding with the flow of traffic, and using proper signaling. Furthermore, bicycles are required to have a white front light and a red rear reflector if riding between sunset and sunrise.
In areas where no bike lanes are provided, cyclists must ride as far to the right side of the road as practicable, but they are also permitted to move into the main traffic lane under certain circumstances, such as when making left turns or if the road edge is in poor condition.
What Are Some Common Factors That Lead To Bicycle Accidents In Wisconsin?
There are a few common factors that contribute to bicycle accidents in Madison. Unfortunately, cyclists lack the visibility and protection offered by larger vehicles, making it incumbent on drivers to stay alert and aware of their presence.
- Distracted Driving: One common element of bike accidents is distracted driving. Texting and driving, for example, lead to several accidents every year in Wisconsin and all other states. In some cases, the rider is distracted and doesn’t take enough time to check for surrounding vehicles before merging, crossing the street, or similar.
- Drunk Driving: Alcohol is a well-known culprit behind many accidents and can contribute to slowed reaction times, aggressive or reckless driving, and other behaviors that endanger the lives of others.
- Traffic Violations: Bicyclists are required to follow the same rules of the road as drivers. This means that improper actions such as merging, running stop signs or red lights, failing to yield, or other common errors can lead to an accident.
- Failure to See the Cyclist: Not leaving enough room between the bike and traffic is another common cause of accidents. It can be tough to maneuver out of danger if there isn’t enough room left between bicycles and vehicles on the road. Many accidents also occur when drivers or passengers exit their vehicles without looking, causing cyclists in the bike lane to collide with a car door.
Wisconsin operates under a modified comparative negligence law, meaning that even if you were partially to blame for your accident, you can still collect compensation from the car driver who injured you. A skilled bicycle accident attorney will fight to make sure that the defendant does not assign you more than your fair share of blame and that your rights are protected.
Common Bike Crash Injuries
Bicycle accidents can lead to a wide variety of injuries, ranging in severity from minor scrapes and bruises to life-altering trauma.
One of the most frequent injuries sustained by cyclists is abrasions or “road rash,” which occurs when a rider’s skin comes into contact with the pavement.
Broken bones, particularly in the arms, wrists, or collarbone, are also common, often resulting from an attempt to break a fall with an outstretched arm. Head injuries, including concussions or more severe traumatic brain injuries, are particularly concerning and may occur even in minor accidents if the cyclist is not wearing a helmet. Spinal injuries, such as herniated discs, can cause chronic pain and mobility issues, while injuries to the face and dental trauma might require extensive medical intervention.
The diverse range of possible injuries underscores the importance of seeking prompt medical attention and legal consultation if an accident occurs. Never run the risk of failing to seek treatment or legal remedies after an accident, as it could cost you much more in the long term than the medical expenses you face in the immediate aftermath.
What Can I Seek Compensation For?
There are several reasons to want compensation after a bicycle accident.
- Medical bills, including physical therapy, surgery, medications, hospitalization, and other expenses related to your injuries.
- Lost wages, income, and earnings for the time you may have missed work while healing from your injuries.
- Property damage, including damage to your bike and other personal belongings that were lost in the crash.
- Pain and suffering, emotional distress, and trauma.
With severe injuries or death, there are additional reasons to want to fight for the deserved compensation. You may not be able to return to work in the same capacity as you did before the accident, and now have permanent disability or disfigurement. Due to the accident, there could be a loss of enjoyment in events that you used to partake in, such as sporting events or work functions. In the unfortunate event that a loved one lost their life in a bicycle accident, you may be able to pursue a wrongful death claim on their behalf.
No matter what losses you or your loved one faced due to a negligent driver, our team will work hard to pursue maximum compensation and justice in your personal injury claim.
Why Should I Hire a Bicycle Accident Attorney?
It can be an overwhelming time for anyone with injuries due to an accident. It’s not something any of us plan for. If your injuries require hospitalization, you can benefit from a personal injury attorney beginning to work on your case while you focus on healing and getting back to what your life was like before the accident, if possible.
Experienced attorneys can take over the reins and investigate your case’s details. They can gather witness statements, negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf, and begin to gather necessary documentation if you need to fight for compensation; this can be things like medical records, bills, police records, cell phones, surveillance camera footage of the accident, and more.
Speak to a Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Madison, Today
With over 20 years of experience in helping victims in Wisconsin, we are confident that we can walk you through the necessary steps to take after an accident to set you up for success. If you need compensation, we can begin to work on that for you and represent you in court should you need that. Let’s work together to form a strategy that works for you, and then we can get to work on your case.
Call our office today at (608) 200-3805 to answer your specific questions and get the process started.
Pemberton Personal Injury Law Firm
5609 Medical Cir #4
Madison, WI 53719